- Cards and deal
- Deal 13 cards each from a 52-card pack ranking AKQJT98765432 in each suit.
- To win as many tricks as possible but as few penalty cards as possible.
- Suit abilities
- The four suits have different properties as determined by the players beforehand. They are:
- Trump suit - Beats all cards of other suits
- Penalty suit - Reduces your score for tricks
- Reverse suit - Cards in this suit rank upside down, from Two (high) to Ace (low)
- Plain suit - No special properties
- Fourth player's privilege
- The fourth player has no choice of suits so must declare the unallocated suit
as 'plain'. To compensate for this, you may as fourth player claim one of the following three privileges
to take effect at end of play:
- Immunity - You will score a flat 5 points per trick, regardless of any penalty cards they contain
- Warranty - You will score a flat 25 points regardless of how many tricks or penalty cards you win.
- Poverty - Instead of scoring for the number of tricks you win, you will score for the number you win less than five - in other words, 1 trick counts as 4, 2 as 3, and so on
- Follow normal rules of trick-play. (Dealer's left-hand neighbour leads to the first trick; you must follow suit if you can but may otherwise play any card; the trick is taken by the highest card of the suit led or by the highest trump if any are played.)
- You each score 10 points per trick divided by the number of penalty cards you took,
rounding down to the nearest whole number. If you took no penalty cards don't try dividing by zero but instead
add a bonus of 10 points (unless you were the fourth player and claimed a privilege, in which case this 10-point bonus
does not apply).
- A game is four deals or 250 points, as agreed beforehand.