- You each take a separate sheet of paper and draw a grid of 5 x 5 = 25 squares.
- To enter into your grid letters of the alphabet, as and when they are called out, in such a way as to make as many words as possible, either horizontally from left to right, or vertically from top to bottom.
- Each player in turn calls out any letter of the alphabet they choose, and everyone writes that letter into any blank square in his or her grid. This continues until 24 squares have been filled. Each player is then free to enter any letter of their own choice into whichever space they have left blank.
- For each three-letter word you score 3 points, for each four-letter word
4 points, and for each five-letter word 10 points, making a (highly theoretical)
maximum possible of 100 points. Two-letter words don't count.
- What gives this game its bite is the feature of scoring for overlapping words.
Each and every word you make scores separately, even if one or more of its
letters are shared with adjacent words. The only restriction is that you
may not score for a shorter word that is entirely contained within a longer.
Row 2: SPA 3, PAN 3, ANY 3, total 9
Row 3: CANTO 10
Row 4: BLIP 4
Row 5: VEX 3
Col 1: no score
Col 2: OPAL 4, PALE 4, total 8
Col 3: BAN 3, NIX 3, total 6
Col 4: ANT 3
Col 5: YOWL 4